Medicaid Work Incentive (MWI)
The Medicaid Work Incentive was designed for working people with disabilities who do not qualify for a "free" Medicaid services because their income and/or assets are too high. The MWI allows a higher income and asset limit and gives you the option to pay a premium for a Medicaid services. The MWI is not the same as the Medicaid Spenddown because you will pay a premium.
The purpose of this Program is to encourage people with disabilities to return to work or make more money.
- Have a disability. You must have a determination of a disability by Social Security or by the Utah Department of Health Medical Review Board.
- Be employed.
- Have assets less than $15,000. The following are not counted as assets: The home you live in, savings of your children, retirement funds and one vehicle.
- Have a household Countable Income of less than 250% of the poverty level.
If you qualify you may pay a monthly premium for your Medicaid. The premium is the amount of money you pay to purchase your Medicaid Card to receive Health Care Services. The Premium is calculated based on 5%, 10%, or 15% of your (the person with a disability) net Countable Income. The premium must be paid for each month that you want to receive medical coverage under the MWI.
What are the Benefits to You?
- You receive the same health care coverage as the other Medicaid programs.
- You can earn more money without the risk of losing health care coverage.
- You can save for big purchases, education and retirement.
Links and Resources
- Medicaid Work Incentive Program Brochure (pdf) (Spanish)
- Utah State Medicaid Home Page
- Find the Medicaid eligibility office closest to you
Medicaid Work Incentive Policy Specialist
288 N. 1460 W., Box 143107
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-3107
Phone: (801) 538-9349
Fax: (801) 538-6952 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org