Opening Doors for Work

Home > Youth > Toolkit > High School/Transition > Transitioning from HS


Click on a date for event details.

None available

Utah Department of Health Logo

Transitioning from High School to Life

What about transition services at the secondary level?

  • At the annual IEP meeting following your child's fifteenth birthday (or younger, if determined appropriate) you will begin to discuss transition planning from school to adult life. Your child must be invited to this IEP meeting and all subsequent IEP meetings until he/she either graduates from high school or reaches his/her twenty-first birthday.
  • At the same IEP, your child's IEP will be planned and must include:
    • Appropriate measurable postsecondary goals based upon age-appropriate transition assessments related to training or education, employment and, where appropriate, independent living skills; and
    • The transition services needed to assist the child in reaching those goals.

The term "transition services" is defined as a coordinated set of activities for a child with a disability that:

    • Is designed to be within a results-orientated process, that is focused on improving the academic and functional achievement of the child with a disability to facilitate the child's movement from school to post-school activities, including postsecondary education; vocational education; integrated employment (including supported employment); continuing and adult education; adult services; independent living or community participation;
    • Is based on the individual child's needs, strengths, interests and preferences; and
    • Include instruction, community experiences, the development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives, related services (e.g., transportation), and, when appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and provision of a functional vocational evaluation.

Why is transition planning important?

  • Special Education is an "entitlement" program
  • Adult services are "eligibility" programs
  • Involvement of adult service agencies is important - WHY?
    • Initiates the referral process so it is completed prior to exit from special education
    • Ensures that agency personnel are part of the planning process

What can my child take with him/her to explain his/her current skills and abilities?
Before your child graduates high school with a regular diploma or completes the school year in which he/she turns 22, the school district must provide your child with a summary of his or her academic achievement and functional performance and recommendations to assist him or her to achieve post-secondary goals.

Adapted from AFCAMP 8/19/06